New Brunswick, New Jersey
Christ Church, Episcopal
Builder: Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co., Inc. Year: 1955 Opus: 1315 No. manuals: 4 No. stops: 38 No. ranks: 34 No. pipes: 2,093
GREAT ORGAN SWELL ORGAN 16' Quintade 61 16' Gedeckt 68 8' Spitzprinzipal 61 8' Gedeckt 68 8' Gedeckt 61 8' Viole de Gambe 68 4' Octave 61 8' Viole Celeste (TC) 56 4' Quintade 24 4' Spitzflöte 68 2' Octavin 61 2' Octavin 61 IV Fourniture 244 IV Plein Jeu 244 16' Fagot 68 (old Cornopean rebuilt) CHOIR ORGAN 8' Hautbois 68 (old revoiced) 8' Cor de Nuit 61 4' Chalumeau 68 (old Clarinet cut in half) 8' Unda Maris II 110 Tremulant 4' Rohrflöte 61 II Zimbel 122 PEDAL ORGAN 16' Diapason 32 SOLO ORGAN 16' Bourdon 32 16' Bombarde 61 16' Quintade GT 8' Trompette 12 16' Lieblich Gedeckt SW 4' Clairon 12 8' Principal 12 8' Bourdon 12 8' Quintade GT 4' Super Octave 12 2' Phyfe 12 (Diapason) III Fourniture 96 III Cymbel 36 16' Bombarde SO 8' Trompette SO 4' Clairon SO
Source: Allen Kinzey, with clarification by Mark Trautman, Director of Music at Christ Church.
Notes: The job was essentially new pipework for the existing Casavant Op. 994, a rather sparse 3-manual 23-stop instrument installed in 1923. The Casavant console, chests, swell boxes and shades, reservoirs, etc., were re-used. A 4-manual Moller console was added to the Casavant in 1949.
The parish was founded in 1742 and still functions under the Royal Charter granted by King George III of England in 1761. The tower is original, but the nave was torn down and rebuilt in larger form in the mid-1800s. In 1815, the rector was elected the first bishop of New Jersey and Christ Church became New Jersey's first cathedral. For this reason, the choir of men and boys is entitled to wear the bishop's purple.
A Hall & Erben was purchased in 1826 and was replaced by Henry Erben in 1842. Both choir and organ were situated in the west gallery until May 1869, when an organ by Levi Stuart was placed in a newly built chamber in the chancel. A Steere & Turner replaced the Stuart in 1905. A major renovation to the nave in 1923 included the new Casavant in the west gallery, with the console in the chancel with the choir. The previous chancel organ chamber became a sacristy. In 1956, Aeolian-Skinner provided some new pipework. Richards, Fowkes & Co. installed their Opus 12 in 2001, a two-manual 32-rank instrument located in the west gallery along with the relocated choir.
Organ Historical Society Database: https://pipeorgandatabase.org/OrganDetails.php?OrganID=17977