St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Builder: Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co., Inc. Year: 1945 (contract cancelled) Opus: 1079
No. manuals: 3 No. stops: 70 No. ranks: 74 No. pipes: 4,372 GREAT ORGAN SWELL ORGAN
The price of the organ was to be $36,000. The contract specified "the old metal pipes from the present organ to become the property of the Builder." The contract was signed by G. Donald Harrison for the company and witnessed by Mary G. McGaffigan and Mary L. Baker. A ten-percent deposit check was mailed to Aeolian-Skinner on February 13, 1946.
The widely believed reason for the cancellation of the contract was a dispute between the company and the organist about the design of the organ. The organist had come after the contract was signed and wanted to make changes (one would hope to the Pedal 16' flues). GDH said no and the contract was cancelled. He then went to Möller, who was hesitant to built an organ to the revised stoplist. Ray Bradberry, the ever-practical area Möller sales rep, told the head office that the St. Paul's organist was going to get a company somewhere to build what he wanted, and it might as well be Möller. They sighed and agreed. A large three-manual Moller of 54 ranks was installed in 1950. It was quite a successful installation, with Pedal 16' flues that the Aeolian-Skinner stoplist lacked. The Möller organ was replaced in 1984 by a 4/95 Casavant and moved to Williams Memorial United Methodist Church in Texarkana, Texas.
Organ Historical Society Database: https://pipeorgandatabase.org/OrganDetails.php?OrganID=33950