Union City, New Jersey
St. Michael's Catholic Church
Builder: Aeolian-Skinner Organ Co., Inc. Year: 1936 Opus: 941 No. manuals: 2 No. stops: 15 No. ranks: 13 No. pipes: 884 GREAT ORGAN 16' Principal 73 8' Gemshorn 73 4' Octave 73 II Grave Mixture 122 SWELL ORGAN 8' Diapason 73 8' Gedeckt 73 8' Salicional 73 8' Voix Celeste (TC) 61 4' Flute Harmonique 73 8' Trumpet 73 8' Oboe 73 Tremolo PEDAL ORGAN 16' Bourdon 32 16' Gedeckt 12 SW 8' Flute 12 8' Gedeckt SW
Source: Allen Kinzey
Photo Source: Passionist Historical Archives
Notes:St. Michael's Church was built in 1875, part of St. Michael's (Passionist) Seminary. The immense structure features a dome reaching 193' over the nave floor. A huge fire on Mary 31, 1934 left only the stone walls standing. The restoration was done by the Boston firm of Maginnis and Walsh. The restored church, which can be seen from Manhattan due to the church's site high on the palisades above the NJ side of the Hudson River, was rededicated on September 29, 1936. In 1981, the parish merged into nearby St. Joseph's Church to become St. Joseph and St. Michael the Archangel. The former St. Michael's church was sold to a Korean Presbyterian congregation in 1984. The monastery was destroyed by fire in 1994 and razed in 1998.
The chancel is 58' deep and the nave is 248' long and 88' wide. The height of the nave is 72' and from the floor to the top of the dome ceiling is 132'.
The organ was located in the arched grillwork to the left of the altar.
Organ Historical Society Database: https://pipeorgandatabase.org/OrganDetails.php?OrganID=25198